Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) is an universalize elementary education by community-ownership of the school system. It is in response to the demand for quality primary education. Quality education is a demand all over the country.
What is Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan?
The Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan programme is an attempt to provide an opportunity for improving human capabilities to children. The provision of community-owned quality education in a mission mode. It is a result of National Policy on Education 1986 (NPE). It started in 2000.
- It’s a programme with a clear time frame for universal elementary education.
- Response to the demand for quality basic education all over the country.
- It is an effort to effectively involving the Panchayat Raj Institution. School Management Committees, Village and Urban Slum
Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan programme seeks to open new schools in villages and towns where there are not school facilities. This will strengthen existing school infrastructure through provision of additional classrooms, toilets, drinking water, maintenance grant and school improvement grants.
Aims and Objectives of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan
- All children in school to be educated.
- Schools as Education guarantee Centre.
- School camp by the year 2003.
- All children will be completing five years of primary schooling by the year 2007.
- All children complete eight years of schooling by 2010.
- It was to focus on the elementary education of satisfactory quality with emphasis on education for life.
- Keeping all gender and social category gaps at primary stage by 2007 and primary level by 2010.
- It’s seen as a favourable step towards Universal retention by 2010.
Strategies Central to Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan
- Sustainable Financing
- Community Ownership
- Institutional Capacity Building
- Improving mainstream Educational Administration
- Community-based monitoring with full Transparency
- Habitation as a unit of planning
- Accountability to Community
- Education of Girls
- Focus on Special Groups
- Pre-Project Phase
- Thrust on Quality
- Role of Teachers
- District Elementary Education Plan